If you have a reason for not wanting to go through official channels, a talk with an Ombuds may help to identify alternative courses of action. For many problems, a normal procedure or route of appeal is set out in university policies and procedures. Academic advisors, department chairpersons, deans and directors are all, by virtue of their office, experts at handling specific types of problems, and should normally be consulted first. If you don't know whether there is a procedure that fits your situation, contact the Ombuds Office.

"Some examples might include: Students:  course and instructor issues; dispute with a university unit/staff person; referrals; conflict coaching/advice; policy consultation (i.e., grade appeal, academic misconduct, course repeat.); Faculty:  university policy consultation, work/department issues; consult regarding a student situation; Staff:  work issues; university policy consultation; referrals. Other examples: harassment and discrimination consultation; stalking consult; bullying in the workplace consult."   

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, retaliation, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies and is the University’s Title IX Coordinator: the Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access, IOA@ku.edu, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.